Saturday 19 April 2014

Movie Review: Carrie


I recently got the book by Stephen King but I decided to watch the new Carrie movie before reading it. Just because the book will hopefully be better and movies are always worse than the books. But I found this movie to be pretty terrible to be honest. 
I hardly remember the version made in 1976 because I was so young watching it (my parents were weird and let me watch horror movies when I was a child) but I remember liking it. The newer version however I found to be really terrible... 
I don't know why but I don't like Chloe Grace Moretz who plays Carrie; I don't like her acting and that might be why I didn't enjoy the movie so much, it wasn't just in this movie that I found her performance to be boring but in other movies too. 
The book/movie is about a young girl who is sheltered all her life by her over the top religious mother, making her an easy target for bullies. Whilst at prom she is humiliated and drenched in pigs blood after being crowned prom queen so as a normal teenager who just faced the horror of prom she unleashes telekinesis  terror upon her town. A natural reaction I guess. 

It's obviously not the plot I was disappointing by or the amazing Ansel Elgort who plays Tommy. It was the camera shots and the scene cutting that just made the film seem uninteresting to me. But also the lack of horror. This was awarded a 15 age rating in the UK with Woman In Black being rated a mere 12A which I found to be much more scary. 

So in total. I wasted 100 minutes watching this movie that I was hyped up for. If it wasn't for Ansel Elgort I would have probably cried about the fact that I watched this remake, but also I feel super silly for thinking this was going to be somewhat scary and actually asking my brother to watch it with me (which he didn't). I'm still surprised that this version got a rating of 6/10 on IMDb while the 1976 version got a 7.4/10 rating. 

 So I'm giving this film a two. I despised the movie but I have to give credit to some of the scenes that made me giggle and weren't too bad.



3 comments:

  1. I agree with you! The original movie was way better. I was disappointed by this remake. Sometimes remakes are kick ass (The Evil Dead, Friday the 13th, Halloween) and sometimes they suck hardcore (Nightmare on Elm Street).


    I love Julianne Moore and thought she did a pretty decent job of playing Carrie's mother, but I don't think the role of Carrie was cast well. The actress isn't plain enough. Carrie is supposed to be very plain because of the way she's raised by her mother. A lot of the same lines were used from the original movie but didn't have the same impact this time around.


    The book is awesome though! I think it was the first novel Stephen King wrote, but I'm not sure. I know it was the first novel by him that I read. Have you had a chance to read it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Julianne Moore in this movie! She was really good. I haven't had the time to read the book yet. But it's on my list to read soon so hopefully :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think when you get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...