Wednesday 11 February 2015

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)Starcrossed Josephine Angelini
Published: June 2011
Publisher: MacMillan Children's books.
Amazon

Goodreads Summary
Destiny brought them together. The gods will keep them apart. When shy, awkward Helen Hamilton meets Lucas Delos for the first time, she thinks two things: the first, that he is the most ridiculously beautiful boy she has seen in her life; the second, that she wants to kill him with her bare hands. An ancient curse means Lucas and Helen are destined to loathe one another. But sometimes love is stronger than hate, and not even the gods themselves can prevent what will happen next...




I spent a good week or two trying and failing many times to get into this book. To say that the first two chapters were atrociously boring would be a massive understatement. Just getting into the authors perspective of the book was annoying, not to mention the conversation between Helen and Claire the two best friends. I felt like they were 12 year olds trying to be funny.
Although the beginning of this book is hard to get into it is very much worth sticking out! Helen and Lucas the gorgeous new boy on the island seem to hate each other so much that Helen tries to kill him on their first encounter. So far Helens’ life has been normal and all of a sudden she is seeing three women cry blood at school, she keeps dreaming of a dry desert and waking up with dirt all over her sheets. Not being aware of what she is and how big of a role her and Lucas will play Helen begins to understand her kind with the help of the Delos family.
I love Greek mythology! It’s so incredibly interesting but so confusing! So many gods and so many offspring’s and so much drama! I was scared that it would take me a long time to get the grasp of this story but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it all rolled off the pages. Josephine managed to not only keep me in with the promise of cute guys but also with the amount of drama only gods could have invented.
Helen is an interesting character, to say the least. Although she’s annoying I can relate to her and most of her feelings. But all of the characters in this book seemed recycled for me. This was just another twilight book disguised as Greek mythology. I’m not saying that it’s necessary a bad thing but I am saying that Helen’s character reminded me a lot like Bella. Jerry, her father would have gotten along well with Charlie. The way that once Helen’s and Lucas’ relationship progresses he turns into a massive worry and tries to shield Helen from all the bad in the world screamed Edward, but a much less pale and sparkly one. The mother hen of the family Noel. By far the most loving mother in young adult book I have encountered in a while! But apart from the fact that she was the only human in the family she still managed to remind me of Esme in Twilight. The twins and hector. Classic Jasper, Alice and Emmett.
It wasn’t just the characters that screamed out teenage vampire book for me. It was the fact that Lucas slept in Helen’s room/ outside her room just like Edward did with Bella to protect her. I won’t mention all the other comparisons because I don’t want to spoil this book for anybody that has yet to read it. But I do suggest that you take the chance to read this.
Starcrossed has been a fantastic start of a thrilling series and I hope that it gets better from here. Although there have been times when I wanted to shoot myself because of how cringy it sounded or how stupid some of the cliff-hangers were it’s a really fun read. 


2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book!I am a huge fan of Greek Mythology and I love books that are based on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...