Friday 12 June 2015

Short Review: The Woman In Black by Susan Hill

The Woman in BlackThe Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Published: 1998 by Vintage


Goodreads Summary 



Arthur Kipps, a junior solicitor in London, is summoned to Crythin Gifford to attend the funeral of Mrs Alice Drablow, and to sort through her papers before returning to London. It is here that Kipps first sees the woman in black and begins to gain an impression of the mystery surrounding her. From the funeral he travels to Eel Marsh House and sees the woman again; he also hears the terrifying sounds on the marsh. Despite Kipps’s experiences he resolves to spend the night at the house and fulfil his professional duty. It is this night at Eel Marsh House that contains the greatest horror for Kipps. Kipps later discovers the reasons behind the hauntings at Eel Marsh House. The book ends with the woman in black exacting a final, terrible revenge.

Ever since I was in year 10, so 13/14? I fell in love with the Victorian horror about a woman dressed in all black causing deaths in families by being seen. I mean the story itself is so brilliant and interesting! 
I first saw the performance with my drama group in year 10, where it chilled me to the bone. I was terrified and amazed at how effective it was. The fact that three actors were able to portray a whole horror play was incredible. I was hooked, I couldn’t get enough. Later I chose to study the play and read everything about it. 
When the movie came out in 2012 I was straight in the cinema clutching my hoodie to my face. The film was nothing compared to the play itself but non the less it was still incredible work and the fact that Daniel Radcliff was the star made it so much greater. 
Obviously the shock wasn’t as bad and the fact that I knew everything that was going to happen it was still interesting how the producers put the whole story together. Although for some reason (cough money cough) there is a second movie and I will get to that on a later note. 
All that was left for me was to read the book by Susan Hill. It took me two days to read all of the 160 pages. CRAZY!!
I don’t know what it was about it but I kept getting weird feelings. I wasn’t scared, I was more or less cautious of anything scary that might happen. I didn’t think that reading the book would make me more scared of the woman in black herself; after all I have read the play. But my heart was beating rapidly. I didn’t want to read it at night and I kept having to reassure myself, I’m not even sure what of. 

So the book itself. Interesting, beautifully written but it’s just okay. I mean I knew the story, and the story in the book wasn’t scary. I was expecting so much more! I know that I said my heart was beating and I was scared a little but I think it was mostly just the fact that I was waiting for something to happen. I was waiting for her to appear and for Arthur to get scared. Also I never realized how stupid Arthur is as a character. You see a ghost you run. YOU RUN!!!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...